Two Wheels | 0131 667 7305

Edinburgh's Honda Motorcycle Dealer

Two Wheels

0131 667 7305

Your Licence

As a motorcyclist, you may come across all kinds of obstacles. Getting your licence shouldn't be one of them! Here we've listed the different kinds of licence available and what they offer you.

AM licence – minimum age 16

  • A provisional licence that allows you to ride a 50cc moped, restricted to 28mph. If you hold a car driver's licence, you can also ride a moped at this level.
  • You'll need to complete the Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) test first, and while riding on the road you will need to display L-plates.
  • Once you've sat your theory and practical tests, you may discard your L-plates.
  • You cannot carry a passenger and are not allowed on motorways.

A1 licence – minimum age 17

  • The A1 licence allows you to ride a 125cc bike with L-plates.
  • Once you've completed the CBT and theory test, you can take the A1 practical test.
  • With an A1 licence you can ride a 125cc machine.
  • You can carry a passenger and you can ride on motorways.

A2 licence – minimum age 19

  • The A2 licence allows you to ride a larger bike – up to 35kw maximum power output.
  • If you haven't already done so, you will have to take your CBT and theory test (valid for two years).

A licence – minimum age 24

  • At 24 years of age you will have to take your CBT if you haven't already done so, and ride with L-Plates on a 125cc machine.
  • After this, you will need to take your theory test (valid for two years), and your practical test. When you have passed these, you will hold your full category 'A' licence.

Stay Up to date with all our latest deals

Thankyou for your signing up to our free Newsletter

Keep a look out in your inbox for our newsletter to keep up to date with all of our latest news and great promotions.